Partners in Mission: La Escuela Integrada
The Country of Guatemala does not have a comprehensive public school system. Therefore, if you live in Guatemala and do not have money to pay for your children to attend school, your children are not educated. Persons living in poverty are very unlikely to have the opportunity to obtain an education for themselves or their children. This fact severely impacts the problem of generational poverty and illiteracy in Guatemala.
Ten years ago, Andrew and Rebecca Loveall established a not for profit organization in the US and started a mission school in Antigua, Guatemala for children living in poverty. The goals of the school are far reaching and noted as:
- To end the cycle of poverty and illiteracy through the provision of education to impoverished children in Antigua
- Provide two meals per day for the children attending the school so that their nutritional needs are met and they are better able to learn
- Provide clothing and assistance with books and school supplies so that all the children have materials and items needed to learn
- Provide medical and dental assistance to each child who attends the school (and all of their family members) so that each family member is healthy and able to learn and function in society
- Work within the community, families and the society to fight societal prejudice and injustice faced by many of the poor on Guatemala
With the belief that this school is working to provide the message of the love of Christ, through actively healing and loving all persons regardless of their socioeconomic situation, St John's Lutheran Church has entered into a mission partnership. Our desire is to assist in the wonderful mission work and goals established by La Escuela Integrada.
This catalog was developed as a collaborative venture between La Escuela Integrada and St John's Lutheran Church in Salisbury, NC. It is a fundraiser for both the school and families of the children who attend the school since items represented in this catalog are made and sold by families of children who attend La Escuela Integrada.
Therefore, your purchase actively provides income and employment. Additionally, a portion of each sale is retained by La Escuela Integrada and used to fund the education, nutritional, medical and general needs of a child who lives in poverty.
We hope that you enjoy this catalog and find gifts for all members of your family. Moreover, we thank you for your support of the families, children and staff of La Escuela Integrada.
Paula Bohland, St John's Lutheran Church- Salisbury, NC And Rebecca Loveall, La Escuela Integrada - Guatemala